The Head Of The Charles® Regatta Oct 22-23

The Head Of The Charles® Regatta, the world’s largest annual
two-day rowing event, was first held on October 16, 1965.
The race was established by Cambridge Boat Club members’
The Head Of The Charles Regatta is managed by the members
of the Cambridge Boat Club with assistance from more than
1,400 volunteers, numerous local schools and rowing clubs, and
the Massachusetts Department of Conservation and Recreation

HOCR STATISTICS 2011
Spectators: 300,000 anticipated throughout the weekend(yikes)
Boats rowing: 1,953 (increase of 36 boats over 2010)
People competing: 8,868
Volunteers helping: approximately 1,400
States represented: 34
Countries represented: 19
International entries: 200 boats (10% of all entries)
Gender split: 45% women & 55% men
Course length: 3 miles (4,828 meters) all upstream
Fastest course time: 13:58.99 (1997 Championship Eights – Men,
USRowing)
Bridges to row under: 7
Race events: 61
Charity monies raised by entrants: $29,650

The Cambridge Boat Club, located at Gerry’s Landing in
Cambridge Mass., serves as headquarters for the event. It was
established in 1909 for the purpose of encouraging boating and
yachting, and as a place for social gatherings for its members. The
club maintains an active membership of more than 300.

About Belinda Jentz

Belinda is a Native of the Midwest she holds degrees from Curry College, BA and Willmar Vo Tech ,Technical degree in Photography. When she's not pursuing her passion and talent for photography she manages a database for a major university in the Boston area. Belinda as well Volunteers her time and talent with Dr Jane Goodall’s Roots and shoots.
This entry was posted in DE Blog and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.